Header Image for Silchester Parish Council

War Memorial Dedication

 

Extract from Hants and Berks Gazette Saturday June 24 1922

THE WAR MEMORIAL – The unveiling of the Silchester War Memorial took place on Sunday. The memorial took the form of a rough granite column on a large square base, with the names of those who fell, and these words-“Greater love hath no man than this for his friend.” The Rev. E. C. Hetherington, Vicar of the parish, amid an impressive silence, commenced with these words: “At the call of King and country, these our brothers, Reuben Knight, George Hunt, Walter Aldridge, Robert Neville, and Francis Stacey gave up their own lives that others might live in freedom. Let us see to it that their names are not forgotten.”

After prayer, had been offered, Lient. General Mayne, in a few well chosen words (prior to unveiling the memorial), spoke of the honour he felt in being asked to take part on such an occasion and said that the stone which had been erected would always keep in remembrance those who had given their lives for King and country in the great war. The Silchester band then led the singing of the hymn “Fight the good fight.” After the dedication, the lesson was read by the Rev. J. Walker (Primitive Methodist). The hymn “O God our helping ages part” was then sang, and the “Last Post” was sounded, following which a most impressive two minutes silence was observed. Many beautiful floral tributes were placed around the stone.